As per the 2011 census conducted by Government of India the official literacy rate for the state was 67.63% (Male: 78.45%; Female: 56.21%) with 9 districts above the average literacy rate:
- Purvi Singhbhum (Jamshedpur): 77.13% (Male: 85.53%; Female: 68.20%)
- Ranchi: 76.13% (Male: 84.51%; Female: 67.33%)
- Dhanbad: 75.71% (Male: 85.68%; Female: 64.70%)
- Ramgarh: 73.92% (Male: 83.51%; Female: 63.49%)
- Bokaro: 73.48% (Male: 84.50%; Female: 61.46%)
- Hazaribagh: 70.48% (Male: 81.15%; Female: 59.25%)
- Saraikela Khasawan: 68.85% (Male: 81.01%; Female: 56.19%)
- Kodarma: 68.35% (Male: 81.25%; Female: 54.77%)
- Lohardaga: 68.29% (Male: 78.62%; Female: 57.86%)
Jharkhand has a network of government and privately run schools, although standards of teaching vary considerably from place to place, as also from school to school.
After formation of new state, Jharkhand Education Project Council (JEPC) has been implementing four projects for spread of elementary education namely DPEP, SSA, NPEGEL, KGBV. Hence works have been accomplished in the state towards achieving the goal of UEE but due to slow pace, the target of hundred percent enrolment and retention of children in schools is not yet attained.
Jharkhand has made primary education so accessible that 95% of children of ages 6–11 are enrolled in school, as opposed to 56% in 1993–94, so this will likely to improve literacy a great deal. Some of the better known schools which operate chain of school nationally and regionally are Delhi Public School, Oxford Public School, De Nobili School, Kendriya Vidyalaya, Chinmaya Public School, Loyola school, Sacred Heart School, St.Xavier's, Shishu Mandir, Surendranath centenary School, etc. Students from Jharkhand have proved themselves on national as well as international level. Students from the state have always ranked well in almost all the national level competitive exams.
Thus, it can be said that education in Jharkhand is trying to pace up with the Education departments of the other states of India. Till recently, the department of education was under developed in Jharkhand; but, due to the endeavor of the Government of Jharkhand, Department of Education is soaring into newer heights.
- Jharkhand Exams
- Schools of Jharkhand
- Jharkhand Colleges
- Jharkhand Research Institutes
- Universities in Jharkhand