Jharkhand Observer.com
 
email : jharkhandobserver@gmail.com
 
Untitled Document

Ramgarh

Ramgarh district is carved out of erstwhile district of Hazaribagh on 12th September 2007. The Ramgarh district has been an important commercial and industrial district of Jharkhand. Ramgarh District has borders with Hazaribagh District in north, Ranchi in South, Bokaro in West & again Ranchi in East. Ramgarh town is situated on 850 34’ East Longitude and 23038’ North Latitude. The district covers an area of 1360.08 Sq. Km, of which 35.87 % i.e. 487.93 Sq.Km is forest land. It has 143 Panchayats covering over 351 revenue villages of which 334 is Chiragi and 17 is be-chiragi.

The District Headquarter of Ramgarh District is Ramgarh Town. It is situated on the confluence of two National Highways NH 33 and NH 23. The district is located more or less at equal distance form Hazaribagh Town on southern side and the State Capital Ranchi on Northern side i.e. 52 and 46 Kms. respectively.

Main rivers passing through the district are Damodar, Gomti, Swarnarekha. Ramgarh district is a forest dominated area. So, the soil is sandy and full of jungle and bushes. Soils near the rivers are alluvial and fertile. Rabi and Kharif crops are generally sown here. Rice, wheat, oil seeds, tomato, potato, brinjal, cabbage, cauliflower, carrot etc are main crops of the district.

Ramgarh district has one Sub-division namely Ramgarh and four Block’s namely Ramgarh, Gola, Mandu and Patratu. The word Ram is derived from Murram and Gadh is derived from Beluagadha.

Geography and Physical Features:- The district forms a part of the Chotanagpur plateau. It is a region of plateaus, residual hills and valleys, which occupy the southern half of the state of Jharkhand. Ramgarh district is situated at the Damodar Valley basin.

Climate:- The district comes under the Tropical Monsoon Regions of the world. Three broad seasons can be recognized : The cool season-November to February, the hot season-March to May, the rainy Season-June to October.

Forest:- The total area under forest is 487.93 Sq. Km (about 35.87%). Forest is rich in coal, limestone, fire clay and other minerals. The forest area of this district is full of medicinal plants and trees. The main trees found are Bamboo, Khaire, Mahua, Kusum, Kend, Chiraunji Asan, Piar and Vetwa. The economic significance of forest lies in their being producers of fuel wood, fodder, timber, kendu leaf etc. In the winter season several foreign birds visit these forests areas.

Mineral:- There are several ores and minerals in the naturally rich and beautiful district of Ramgarh. Coal and Lime stone etc. are the main minerals. These minerals are very important from industrial point of view. China clay, fire clay, quartz, granite etc are also found in this district.

GoTop

History -

Ramgarh Raj -
Ramgarh was the seat of a major Zamindari (baronial estate) in the era of the British Raj.

The areas that would later comprise the Ramgarh Raj (estate) had initially belonged to the Raja of Chhota Nagpur. Around the year 1368, the area witnessed unrest for reasons not now known. The Raja deputed two brothers by name Baghdeo and Singhdeo to restore order. After the job was done, the Raja did not render payment to them of the full promised amount. Baghdeo, who was anyway in control of the area after quelling rebellion, simply stayed on and declared himself Raja of that area, which is said to have been 24 Parganas (districts) in extent.

Major districts that came under the Ramgarh Raj were Hazaribagh, Ramgarh, Koderma, and Bokaro. The entire area is rich in menrals like coal and mica and falls under the Indian State of Jharkhand.

Raja Bahadur Kamakshya Narain Singh (b.1916, ruled 1919-47, d.1970) was the last ruling chief of the Ramgarh Raj. In 1945, he ceded control to the Indian government. His son, Raja Bahadur Indra Jitendra Narain Singh (1938- ) is the present head of the family.

Post-independence
After independence in 1947, the territory of the present-day Ramgarh district became a part of erstwhile Hazaribagh district. It became a new district on 12 September 2007, taking the total count of districts in the state to 24.


Ramgarh at a Glance -

Latitude

23038’ North

Longitude

850 34’ East

Height from sea level

 

Area (in sq. km.)

1360.08 Sq. Km

Temperature (in degree centigrade)

 

Rainfall (in mm)

 

Climate

cool season-November to February, the hot season-March to May, the rainy Season-June to October

Literacy rate

73.92%

Main Tribes

 

Main minerals

Coal and Lime stone

Main crop

Rabi and Kharif

Languages spoken

 

Important Rivers

Damodar, Gomti, Swarnarekha

Nearest Railway Station

 

Nearest Airport

 

National Highway passing through District

NH 33 and NH 23

Population density

684

Number of blocks

4

Number of villages

351

Population (Total)

949,149

Population (male)

494,037

Population (female)

455,122

Sex ratio

921

Administrative division

North Chotanagpur division

Headquarters

Ramgarh Cantonment

Year of formation

12th September 2007

Forest Area

35.87 % i.e. 487.93 Sq.Km

 Tourist Places:-

Rajrappa Temple:-
Rajpara Temple It is situated 28 km away from Ramgarh on the confluence of rivers Bhairavi and Damodar. This temple known as Chinnamastika temple finds place in our Vedas and Puranas and it has been recognized as an ancient and strong source of Shakti. It is believed that the person who devotes himself whole heartedly with pious heart to Maa Chinnamastika has all his wishes fulfilled by the Goddess. Devotees from all corners of Jharkhand, Bihar and West Bengal visit this holy place throughout the year. There is a large congregation of people here during the night of full Moon and New Moon. Marriages are also solemnized here on a large scale. The Art and architecture of Rajrappa temple bears resemblance to that of the famous Kamakhaya temple of Assam. Here, in addition to the temple of Maa Kali, there exists ten temples of various Gods and Goddesses like the Sun God and Lord Shiwa. The hot water spring adds beauty to this temple and during winter it turns into picnic spot. For accommodation Dhramashala, rest house and Guest house are easily available at Rajrappa. This site is also well connected to Ramgarh by road.

GoTop

Vaishno Devi Mandir:-
Vaishno Devi TempleIn the heart of Ramgarh town, there is a grand temple of Goddess Vaishnodevi which was established during the year 1991. In a very short time this temple became famous and popular in Jharkhand. An extraordinary fact about this temple is that ever since its establishment a perennial lamp of light i.e. Deepak is burning here. This light was brought from Jwalajee of Himachal Pradesh. There is a belief that before embarking upon any auspicious act, merely a glimpse of Maa Vaishnodevi facilitates the fulfillment of one’s wishes and desires. The idol of the God brims with life and vitality. Adjacent to the temple lies a Dharamasala to provide shelter to the devotees.

 

Gurudwara Singh Sawa:- Gurudwara Singh Sawa
This Gurudwara was established and inaugurated by the Sikh community of Ramgarh around the year 1940 in a small room situated on Shivajee road in Ramgarh. But today a grand structure has taken the form of Gurudwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha in place of that small room. It is the centre of attraction for its great tomb and minarets. The interior decoration of the Darbar hall of Gurudwara Sahib is picture squire.

 

 

China Cemetary:-
China CemetarySituated 5 km away from Ramgarh town, China Kabristan is a famous historical monument. At the outbreak of World War II some soldiers who rose in history against Mawtse tunge the grate hero of Cultural Revolution and who were also the supporters of the friendly states were made capture and imprisoned at Ramgarh. After a few days these soldiers died of hunger and snake bites. A collective burial ground of these soldiers who had died of hunger and snake bites was made in this China Kabristan where these are a total of 667 graves. In the middle of the graveyard a pillar in memory of Chyan Kai Sek was erected. The total area covered by this graveyard is around seven acres. There is a Buddha temple also in its vicinity. Three beautiful cantonment have come into existence around the graveyard. Inside the graveyard the pucca roads have been indorsed with rows of beautiful flowers. China Kabristan is in fact a material witness to the annals of the history of Ramgarh.

Tutee Jharna Prachin Shiv Mandir:-
Tutee JharnaThis ancient temple of Lord Shiva is located at a distance of 8 km from Ramgarh. Though the origin of this temple is uncertain, the prist worshiping here claims that there forefathers have been worshipping in this temple for around 300 years. Inside the temple there is an idol of Mother Ganga from whose navel water is gushing net like a spring and falling on the Shiwalinga. A river parallel flows beside the river. It is a famous temple of this region.

 

Jama Masjid:-
Jam MasjidLocated at Chitarpur 16 km away from Ramgarh, this masque is an excellent piece of Mughal art and architecture. It has the capacity to accommodate 5000 people to offer their holy namaz. It is the biggest mosque of its kind in Jharkhand. It is believed that this mosque was built around 1670 on a land donated by the then king of Ramgarh. In its present form this mosque resembles the Jama Masjid of Delhi. From architectural point of view this mosque presents excellent engravings on its wall which is replete with calligraphy.

Mayatungri:-
MayatungriIt is also known as daughter of the Hills and is 5 km South of Ramgarh in the Chutupalu Valley. This hill is full of natural scenes and sceneries and is a beautiful tourist spot. Although it is located on a height of 300 ft, it takes only 15 minutes to march its peak. Every year the local festival of karma is celebrated here with gaiety and fanfare by the people of the surrounding villages. It is popularly believed that worshipping on the hill brings rain to this area. Now a days on the occasion of Durgapuja, Nawratra is performed twice a year on this hill.

Gadh Bandh:-
Gadh BandhIt is situated in the north of Ramgarh on the bank of the river Damodar. It was build in the year 1670 when the capital of Ramgarh was transferred from Babam and was fatu on called Garh by the local people. The pond adjacent to the fort known as Bandh was primarily meant for catering to the needs of the Royal family of Ramgarh and due to this reason this place was adduced with the nomenclature of Garh Bandh. It is an historical monument which has witnessed the Raiyati War wage waged under the leadership of Mukund Singh the freedom fighter and king of Ramgarh against the British. Now the fort has collapsed and turned into a mould. The lion gate of the fort still exits in a wretched condition near the Rameshwar temple of Ramgarh.

GoTop

Kaitha Shiv Mandir:-
Kaith Shiv MandirThis ancient temple of Shiva is loeated on NH-23 and is 3 km away from Ramgarh. It has been declared as a National Monument. The temple was build in 1670 when capital of Ramgarh was transferred to Ramgarh. The sculpture of this temple is extremely attractive. The Shivalinga in the temple is located at a height which is accessible by means of two stairs. A detailed analysis of this temple shows that some of its portion was also used for military purpose by the king of Ramgarh. At present this temple is in a dilapidated condition.

 

P.T.P.S, Patratu Dam:-
PTPS30 km to the west of Ramgarh this dam was constructed with the purpose of supplying water to Patratu Thermal Power Station. Water from the river Nalkarni and from the waterfalls of the hills surrounding this dam is stored in this dam. The total storage capacity of this dam is 81 square miles. It is a beautiful tourist spot and throughout the year particularly during the winter season a large member of people visit here for picnic. There is a circuit house beside the dam. The Panchawahini temple adjacent to the dam is an ancient temple and significant for its religious value. This dam is also known as Nalkarni dam which presents beautiful scenes owing to its beautiful sceneries and serpentine ways made on the hills which borders the dam from 3 sides.

Mahatama Gandhi Samadhi Sathal:-
Mahatama Gandhi Samadhi SthalThis sthal popularly known as Gadhi Ghat is situated on the bank of river Damodar in Ramgarh. Mahatma Gandhi had visited Ramgarh during the year 1940 at the time of congress session at Ramgarh. After the assassination of Mahatma Gandhi in 1948, the pitcher containing the remains of the departed soul were dispatched to different places of our country and Ramgarh is fortunate to be one of those places. A Samadhi of Gandhiji was erected on it. Earlier, a fair used to be organized here on the occasion of the birthday and anniversary of Bapu but now this practice has been abandoned. The Samadhi is made of Black Granite Stones.

Chutupallu: Situated at about 10 km from Ramgarh on the Ramgarh - Ranchi NH 33 is a hill top with awesome beauty. There are many a dhabas and motels in the way after crossing Chutupallu that offer great food. The scenic beauty in the ghats is worth seeing getting mesmerized by the scene is very common even if you visit the place many daily.

Bankhetta: Situated near Chutupallu. Water falls from a height giving the feeling of rainfall in a cave when someone claps inside.

Liril Fall: Situated between Ramgarh and Chutupallu looks like the fall from the old Liril Soap advertisement. It is popularly known as Liril Fall, A great picnic spot.

Birsa Munda Zoological Garden: Situated between Ranchi and Ramgarh at about 35 to 40 km. A zoological garden with a nice environment and Large Area. Near Rishu kumar house.

GoTop


Jharkhand Observer.com

Privacy Policy  | Disclaimer | Copywrite 2011 Website powered by Webster Technologies