Indian Lac Research Institute
Indian Lac Research Institute (Indian Institute of Natural Resins and Gums) of Jharkhand holds the distinction of being the only institute in the whole world which is devoted to the research and development of lac since the last 84 years. The institute carries out research work on the cultivation, processing, development and the most economical utilization of lac.
Indian Lac Research Institute at Jharkhand functions under the governance of Indian Council of Agricultural Research which belongs to the Department of Agricultural Research and Education of Government of India.
Objectives of Indian Lac Research Institute
- To develop lac processing techniques for the industry.
- To act as a repository of information on lac production, processing and utilization.
- To conduct researches for diversification of lac utilization leading to pilot plant development.
- To transfer the technologies to farmers and entrepreneurs.
- To develop lac culture technologies, adopting existing or genetically improved lac insects and lac hosts.
History of Indian Lac Research Institute
Indian Lac Research Institute in Jharkhand was set up in the year 1924 on the recommendations of Lindsay-Harlow committee by the Indian Lac Association for Research. In the year 1930, an Indian Lac Cess Committee was set up by the Central legislature and Government of India on the recommendations of the Royal Commission. Since1931, this Committee took the charge of the management of this institute. Later in the year 1966 Indian Lac Research Institute became an eminent member of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
Since Sept.20, 2007 ILRI has been renamed as Indian Institute of Natural Resins and Gums (IINRG).
Main programs of Jharkhand Indian Lac Research Institute are:
- Production Improvement and Crop Management
- Product Development and Use Diversification.
- Productivity and Quality Improvement
- Processing and Value Addition
- HRD for Capacity Building in Lac Production
- Technology Assessment, Refinement and Dissemination
Indian Institute of Natural Resins and Gums
Namkum, Ranchi - 834010,
Phone: 91-651-2260117, 2261156 (Director)
FAX : 0651-2260202